- Appropriation vs. Appreciation - a handy illustrated guide to make sure your style choices are respectful. Thanks for sharing, Harper!
- 5 Photography Apps to Make Your Photos Instagram-Ready!
- Looking for a Halloween movie to watch? Harper's list is amazing, and check out my not-so-scary faves too!
- Gamerwife compiled this awesome list of rad snail mail goodies.
- South Park did an episode about transgender rights, and it was surprisingly good! This article says pretty much everything I would about the episode, except "Ya ya ya, I am Lorde."
- Bloggers, listen up! 11 Tips for Bettering Your Blog.
- Are you keeping up with Gamer Gate? Here's the most recent development... another female game developer was driven from her house due to threats.
- Netflix just added Gilmore Girls, and you know what that means - here's The Ultimate Guide for Binge-Watching Gilmore Girls!
- Geeks run the world! Know a geek that should get a moment in the spotlight? Check it out!
- 10 Things I Wish I Knew Before I Started Sewing - Fantastic advice from The Geeky Seamstress!
Monday, October 13, 2014
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Archer is one of my all-time favorite shows - the writing is so clever and the plot is outrageous. I've been watching the show since the first season, and the show has only improved since the beginning. Seriously - if you're not watching, it's on Netflix! You have no excuse!
It's impossible to choose a favorite character - they're all hilarious! When Liz expressed interest in cosplaying Pam, I knew I wanted to join her. We put these costumes together initially for San Diego Comic Con, but they've quickly become favorites.
- Wig: Derek and Bun from Arda Wigs in Spanish Brown
- Earrings: Forever 21
- Necklace: My own (similar)
- Shirt: Ebay
- Skirt: Express (similar)
- Heels: Forever 21
- ISIS Badge: Made by Liz
This costume was super easy to put together! I already had the jewelry and skirt, and I purchased the wig, shirt, and heels quickly. Honestly, the most difficult part was getting the color of the shirt right!
The most challenging part of most Archer cosplay is looking like the character. Each character has a really specific appearance, so sometimes, if you don't look like the character, your cosplay looks like regular office clothing. I don't think I look a lot like Cheryl, so I tried to make my costume as spot-on as possible.
Wearing this costume went over a lot better than expected. While an outfit like this isn't my usual style - and even felt a little uncomfortable, at first - I really felt like I wasn't myself. We got the chance to meet Aisha Tyler in these costumes, which was a real treat! Overall, these two get a lot of love from con-goers, which always feels nice.
Archer lends itself to hilarity - we had SO much fun during this photo shoot! Some friends have expressed interest in joining the Archer fun, so I hope our group keeps expanding in the future!
Do you watch Archer?
Monday, October 6, 2014
DIY a denim vest. Now that the weather is cooling down, denim vests are comfortable to wear again! Grab a cheapo vest from Forever 21 or a thrift shop and decorate it to your heart's content. Dip dye, install studs, sew on patches, add buttons... make it yours!
Pledge to read the printed word. Autumn is the perfect time to get cozy with a good read. Pick up the latest comic books or join an online book club, like the NovelTea book club run by Kristin at My Life as a Teacup.
Treat your hands nicely! Give yourself a weekly manicure, use cuticle oil daily, and carry hand lotion with you. A little effort goes a long way. This extends to the rest of you, too - take care of your temple!